Sunday, November 6, 2011

burning the future

Yay! Writing! Okay, so I suppose this is inspired by Paper Towns (which is by john green, and fully as awesome and beautiful as he is), but doesn't really have anything to do with the book, but a paragraph in there, which struck me as quite inspirational, namely;

All those paper people- living in their paper houses, burning the future to stay warm. All the paper kids drinking beer some bum bought for them at the paper convenience store. Everyone demented with the mania of owning things. All the things are paper-thin and paper-frail. I’ve lived here for eighteen years, and I have never once in my life come across anyone who cares about anything that matters.
~Paper towns (John Green)

anyways...poem!

We sit here
Just like we’ve
Been sitting here
Burning the future
For just a little more
Warmth

We care about nothing
That we should
Or we shouldn’t
We care about not caring
Not even as rebellion
As saving all of our caring
And optimism for a world
Better than this
Dreams have long faded
From our grasp
We burned those ages
Ago
When the frost first set in

We are the ones
Left
Because we burn with vigor
We feel nothing
Or we want to, maybe
(Which is nearly the same thing)
To be something that needs
Nothing
No room for remorse or
Touchy-feely
In nothingness
And bare survival

Because when you see
Them burn
You’ll never want them
Back
Because dreams
Burn fast and pitifully
They scream and beg
Like dignity is a foreign language
The moment flame touches
Them
They crumble into flakey ash
And fall like they never existed

I cried the first time
We scorched mine
But not because I still wanted them
Or I was sad to see them
Go
I cried out of anger
Unadulterated, pure
Anger
That I could have believed
Hope and dreams
Were anything stable
Were anything worth yearning
To come true
Someday
If I only hoped
Hard enough

And the rest of them
Glared at me for my
Tears
And I think that was
The last thing I
Felt

No comments:

Post a Comment